How to Become a Committer or PMC
Apache InLong is to build a community in full accordance with Apache’s rules. Apache Committer is a term used in ASF (Apache Software Foundation) to refer to people who submit specific projects. Apache InLong Committer has the permission to write the InLong code base and can merge PR. Anyone who has made enough contributions to the community and gained enough trust can become an Apache InLong Committer.
As long as anyone contributes to the InLong project, you are the officially recognized Contributor of the InLong project. There is no exact standard for growing from Contributor to Committer. There is also no expected timetable, but Committer candidates are generally long-term active contributors. Becoming Committer does not require considerable contributions to architecture improvements. Or how many lines of code contributions, contributing code, contributing documents, participating in discussions on the mailing list, helping answer questions, etc., are all ways to increase your influence.
List of potential contributions (in no particular order):
- Submit the bugs, features, and improvements you found to the issue.
- Update the official documentation so that the project documentation is the most recent, the best practices for writing InLong, and various valuable documents for feature analysis.
- Perform test and report test results, performance test and performance comparison test of any modules, etc.
- Actively participate in voting when the version is released.
- Participate in the discussion on the mailing list. Usually, there will be mails starting with
- Answer questions from users or developers on the mailing list.
- Review the work of others (both code and non-code) and publish your suggestions.
- Review issues on GitHub and maintain the latest status of issues, such as outdated closing issues, changing issue error information, etc.
- Guide new contributors and be familiar with the community process.
- Publish speeches and blogs about InLong, and add these to InLong's official website.
- Any contribution that is beneficial to the development of the InLong community.
For more reference: ASF official document
Not everyone can complete all (or even any) items on this list. If you want to contribute in other ways, do it (and add them to the list). Pleasant manners and dedication are all you need to have a positive impact on the InLong project. We are inviting you to become Committer results from your long-term and stable interaction with the community, and it means the trust and recognition of the InLong community.
Committer is obliged to review and merge PRs submitted by others, test and vote on candidate versions when the version is released, participate in the discussion of feature design plans and other types of project contributions. When you are active enough and contribute a lot to the community, you can be promoted to a PMC member of the InLong project.